Thursday, February 21, 2013

Getting the Money from the Grant


I spent a month before I left trying to get some of the money sent by the French Embassy to the university.  I know they received it in November, but even in January they could not tell me where it was.  I eventually tracked down the people who could make it happen and started sitting at their desks until I got answers, or at least promises.  It took two weeks for them to acknowledge that the money was at the university.  Then they needed to get paperwork completed, forms signed, check boxes filled.  Then once they set it all up, they needed accounting to setup an account to draw the money from.  It finally was completed a couple days ago. 

Actually it was completed last week, but they only notified me a couple days ago.  The problem is that they set it up as a grant.  That means I must ask to get the money.  The French government, with all their rules and regulations, was actual very liberal in their wording that the university could give me some or all the money as they deemed appropriate.  But, the university now wants me to submit expense reports and show receipts for living here.  It will not be a problem, but I have put out over $3000 paying for airfare, renting an apartment, and paying for food.  I am not sure when I will be able to get any money out.  I have been in France for 20+ days without receiving any money.  I am getting annoyed.   It will all work out, just more slowly than I would like.

Besides dealing with the university paperwork, I am still trying to get paid back by the French government for the airline ticket.  They promised to pay, so I bought the ticket last October.  Then they said, wait until you fly.  So, I waited.  Then they wanted a scanned image of the boarding pass.  So, I sent that.  Now the person that I was dealing with has retired!!!!  Great, now I am starting over with another person.  THEY tell me it will "hopefully" be next week.

Good news.  I got told today that after 30 days of travel I can submit an expense report for a per diem.  That is great news, because the thirty days are up next Monday.  The per diem is enough to cover all my expenses and I will be able to feel more comfortable spending the money I had budgeted for living here.


Rent, laundry, food, and eating out are all more expensive here than in Colorado.  Rent for my 200 square foot apartment is over $800 dollars a month, but that does include utilities and is furnished, including the sheets, towels, dishes and cooking gear.  Eating out is a bit more expensive. A quick lunch at a diner will be $12 and at a nicer sit down establishment will run about $20 for a three course meal.  Dinners are also three or four courses and will be about $35-$50 with wine included.

Luckily the grocery stores are about the same, some things more expensive and others less.  I can cook a nice meal of bread, cheese, salad, pasta with ham or turkey, and some fresh fruit for dessert for about $5-$7.  And a nice breakfast of banana, granola, and bread left over from the previous night covered in Nutella is only a couple dollars.  If you have not had any Nutella, I highly recommend it.  If you don't have any leftover french bread, a spoon is even better because it doesn't leave any crumbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment