Tuesday, January 29, 2013

What's for Dinner

I have been shopping the last couple days.  Buying food and supplies.  As many of you know, I like to cook.  It is a creative endeavor and I can like to take what is in the refrigerator and make a meal.   So I decided I would cook dinner last night.  Started off with some Pecorino cheese with peppercorns.  It took my a little while to boil water.  I have a little two burner electric cooktop.  I pressed buttons until some numbers appeared and kept pressing until something turned red.  The pot I selected was too large and I only had simmering water.  Then I moved to a smaller pot and got tiny bubbles appearing.  Finally I moved to the other burner which is larger and got a real rolling boil so I could cook some piccolini (small penne rigate).
Butter was added to pasta and the juice from half a lemon.  But I wanted a creamier texture, so I added a couple of tablespoons of goat cheese.  Did I mention that the markets here have at least two whole aisles of different cheeses?  I have three kinds in the refrigerator and will probably collect some more.  The goat cheese gives it a tangy flavor, a grown up version of mac and cheese.  To that I added some pre-packaged roasted chicken pieces that had a great natural smoky flavor.  Luckily I only make enough for me to eat in one sitting.  I don't have any containers for leftovers, otherwise I could have eaten two helpings.

The fruits and vegetables here taste better.  The bananas are smaller, but taste and smell like a banana.  The lemons are sweet and lemony!  The bananas are from Cameroon, which could be why.  Because I think the fruits are not picked for their size, but for flavor.  The american fascination for supersized does not just happen in fast food meals.  We have fruits and vegetables that are bigger and brighter in color, but have lost the taste.  And that's what I want.

I noticed that I did not have any olive oil when cooking last night.  Got some on the way home.  I just finished an appetizer plate with cheeses, some olives,  olive oil, and pepper.  I mixed the goat cheese with pepper and olive oil and then placed it on some fresh french bread I bought today. 

Now, what's for dinner?

3 comments:

  1. This looks so cute. I am so missing your cooking at home. At least you're eating well. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm hungry and it's only 9 AM! I know what you mean about the better tasting produce. I'm glad you're eating well!!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, brother.
    Congrats on making it this far. what an amazing culinary opportunity! i'm already salivating over your grown up mac and cheese.

    ReplyDelete