Thursday, July 4, 2013

On my way home

The day finally arrived.  I was heading home.  I needed to get up at 5 in the morning to catch the tram to the airport for an 8am flight to London.  I originally booked an 11 am flight, but they canceled that one a couple months ago and my only choice was the 8 am.  Ugh.

I had already paid for a second bag, but both bags were over the weight limit by about 4 pounds.  Guess it was all the chocolate that I packed.  The airline was nice enough not to charge me any extra for the overweight bags.  Happily they were checked all the way to Denver.  The flight took off right on time and I arrived at Heathrow at 9 am.

Heathrow is a pain because all the international flights are taken outside of security and passengers have to pass through security again.  It took me 4 hours when I passed through last year.  I was sure because my flight to Denver was not until 4 pm and I had lots of time, there were no lines.  I was able to walk up to an empty lane, and even with the security patdown, it only took 15 minutes.  Now I just needed to keep busy for the next 6 hours.

I stayed for two and a half hours in one of the nice restaurants in the terminal.  They all serve nice food, though like all airports it was expensive.  A simple breakfast was only 8.  If it was dollars it would be fine, euros would make it a bit expensive, but it was 8 pounds, which made it about 12 dollars.  Still, that was less than $5 per hour for my time there.

Still needed to stay awake for another 3 hours.  There are three different sub-terminals for international flights from Terminal 5.  Terminal A is where security and all the shops and restaurants are located.  They only post the gate assignments about half an hour before boarding.  The flight to Denver was leaving from the B terminal.  So, everyone headed to the trams to transfer.  A short five minute ride and I was waiting again, but in new surroundings.

Then the announcement, "Due to technical difficulties, the flight is delayed."  After a half hour delay, they finally let us board.  I had an isle seat so I waited to be one of the last to board. 

On the plane at last, I could start to relax.  Only another ten hours and I would be back in Colorado.




No comments:

Post a Comment