Thursday, April 4, 2013

Feeling very mortal

Feeling really sad.  Feeling very mortal.  I found out a few weeks ago that a college friend, Gary Smith, died last October.  He was a groomsman at our wedding and he drove out from Arizona at the last minute to attend our 25th wedding anniversary party in May of 2005.  We were very surprised and happy that he was able to attend.

He had reinvented/transformed himself more times than me. He continued on to receive his law degree from the University of Colorado Boulder after finishing his bachelor's.  He recently finished working on his PhD and was working in Virginia. 

I knew it would inevitably start to happen.  I have watched older people most of my life, observing, listening, and preparing for the time when what I thought was old is now the age I am.  I am going through the time, where all the body parts are starting to wear out.  I have had an artificial hip joint installed, both knees have been cleaned out, and recently I needed shoulder surgery to repair injuries from the past 40 years of use.

This would be the next phase as we enter our 50's, friends will begin to leave us.  There is always a changing of the people in your life, but until this point, the deaths were either tragic or happened to generations older than me.  I have reached the age where friends and others that are close in age will no longer be walking among us.  The human body is only designed to work for such a short time and we toil and fight and love and start to grow old as we finally obtain some wisdom. 

I now feel that my time on earth is limited and I must finish this journey into academia.  At the moment it seems a frivolous adventure, but I know that I will make a small difference in the world.  And, if I am able to teach the things I have learned to the next generation of bright young minds, show them that anything is possible, and maybe even inspire one of them to reach for the impossible, I will have completed the ultimate journey that brings me joy: helping people to start their journeys to destinations unknown.

Gary Kevin Smith
July 29, 1959 – October 7, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment